Hey, are you gonna eat that ?

19 May 2007

Non-Book #1 : A Record.

I was tagged by the lovely Colleen, who was tagged by Carmen, and the assignment is this :

I now propose a new tag: Things which one has read and has been influenced by which are not confined to those paper-bound vessels of the printed word we refer to as books. Let's call these Non-Books. Or maybe Impossible Books. Or Limen Books? It's up to you. List five.
This is so hard. I'm thinking of things in which I find great comfort, that I always refer to in times of need, things I know inside and out that can read me just as well. The first thing that comes to mind is Franny and Zooey, a sort of Manual To Me, but that's most certainly not allowed because it's a book. So I'll go the route of my oft-forgotten passion of music.

Non-Book #1 : Something To Write Home About.

I heard a few tracks off STWHA shortly before it's release in 2001, back when I, along with every other wannabe scenester in the South Bay, was addicted to KSCU. The first thing I noticed was how annoying the lead singer's voice was, but something about it stuck with me. I couldn't stop humming "Action&Action" and the next Tuesday when it was released, I bought the album at Rasputin or Tower or somewhere. I've since purchased two more copies of the CD and five of the LP (um, different pressings were done on gold, red, green and blue vinyl, in addition to the black). I even have tattoos of the album art (Travis Millard's "compupids") on my back. I am so ridiculously into this record.

I thought it'd be something I would grow out of, like most of the bad bands everyone listens to in high school. But that band, and that album, have always meant a lot to me. There's never a bad time for STWHA. I don't care if no one else likes the Get Up Kids or calls them a bad Jimmy Eat World/Weezer rip off band, they're still going to be my favourite band ever, and the only band whose breakup I'd actually cry over (yeah, I admit it, I cried).

3 Comments:

At Sunday, May 20, 2007 10:30:00 am , Blogger Jon said...

ok, here are a few of mine that i go to when i need a breather or to find a place of escape...

1. sigur ros (any album really)
2. iron and wine (our endless numkbered days or woman king)
3. my night drive cd (a mix cd which includes sting, david grey, radiohead, magnet, etc)

but in all truth, the album which i go to the most that i would choose above all others is...

the lord of the rings "fellowship of the ring" soundtrack

i simply adore this.

 
At Monday, May 21, 2007 1:11:00 am , Blogger Unknown said...

Comfort in non-book form: its funny bc I'm taking a theory class on what books are. yeah I'm a lit nerd.

Jimmy Eat World- Clarity (reminds me of high school)

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

My pillow

flowers from friends

(this is so difficult, i love books)

 
At Wednesday, May 23, 2007 2:42:00 pm , Blogger Colleen Franklin said...

I agree, books are where it's at for me too! Esp. growing up when books were my friends (sometimes only friends!)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home