Hey, are you gonna eat that ?

17 December 2006

Five Minutes ?

From Seymour: An Introduction ;
Come to think of it, Seymour, who never made, shall I say, anatomical jokes, once rather surprised me by wondering whether our noses--his, mine, Great Grandfather Zozo's--posed the same bedtime dilemma that certain beards do, meaning did we sleep with them outside or inside the covers ?
On my way home a few nights ago, I was struck in the face by a CD case I had until then considered safely tucked away in the visor above my head. It hit my nose, made a tiny cut and has since inconvenienced me by causing my headaches to migrate and move the center of their attack on me to right behind my nose. My coworker Max told me about a customer who had some sort of bone-eating cancer which has destroyed most of the bone on the right side of his face. Apparently this cancer started as a pesky headache and sinus pressure covertly disguised as a sinus infection. Now Max has got me worried that I have some bone-eating brain tumour and I'm not the least bit excited about it.


In unrelated interestingness, my new favourite artist is Nikki McClure. I bought a poster of one of her designs at Giant Robot in San Francisco last month because it reminded me of the Russian family in Franny and Zooey--or rather, in The Way of the Pilgrim--who sat with their servants and their cooks at dinner because they were all brothers and sisters in Christ. But this one, the green one, it reminds me of a Mermaid Avenue Vol. II song, "Remember the Mountain Bed". I like the ambiguity in the lyric "you smiled when I said the leaves were just the colour of your eyes"; does brown and slightly crossed like dear Seymour, or slightly green or even a yellowgreenbrowny colour or a greenyellow one ?

I suppose I should sleep soon, though were it not for my intense love of broccoli rolls from MoBo, I have no need to even get up tomorrow.

3 Comments:

At Sunday, December 17, 2006 10:46:00 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

you and leo toltails would have made great bedfellows!

p.s. your beard was definitely under the covers this morning.

 
At Tuesday, December 19, 2006 10:12:00 am , Blogger estabelatago said...

Hi, you don't know me, but Rob has mentioned you to me, and I have to tell you that I began reading your blog not too long ago and I really enjoy it, from the perspective of a writer and a human being. The great photographs definitely help.

PS: I work at a Peet's as well.

 
At Tuesday, December 19, 2006 1:07:00 pm , Blogger Carmen said...

love the image. I shall be a Nikki McClure fan, too. And I already love Mermaid Avenue. So much great stuff all together. Thanks for brightening my afternoon.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home